Sunday, August 03, 2008

Chapter 5: Elle

"I think you need to look into going back to law school," my mother chimmed as we rode home from church in her new merecedes clk.


I rolled my eyes and ignored her. She was all about me going back to law school. She couldn't believe I dropped out when I did. My mother always tried to control my life. I guess that was most of my problem.


"Baby, I am not trying to tell you what to do but I really think you need to consider your future dear. You just float along doing God knows what with Jay and the rest of the crew. I love Jay but I think you need to get it together girl."


"Moma, I have told you before I hated law school. I didnt want to go in the first place. I like working at the marketing firm. I enjoy what I do and I enjoy my life. Leave me alone," I retroted back. I sunk back in my mom's comfy leather seats and stared into the sceary watching familiar sites go past as we rode in silence.




When we finally got back to my mother and stepfather's home, I immediately headed to my car. My mother sadly waved to me from the garage as I jumped into my car. I wasn't sure where to head or what to do. I wanted to dial some guy and try to be in the company of the opposite sex for sunday brunch and mimosas but I didnt have a number to call. So I decided to drive home then my phone rang.


"Hello," I answered.


"Wow, can't believe I am talking to you. How are you?" a sexy male voice asked.


"Who is this?" I retroted back. I know it was rude but I didnt know who the hell it was and I didnt have time for games.


"I'm sorry this is Adam. You probably don't remember me. I meet you a long time ago in DC. I am JT's line brother. Not sure if you remember me but you told me to hit you up if I ever make it Atlanta. I moved here like two weeks ago. I ran into one of your sorors you use to kick it with in DC Nicole and I begged her for your number," he explained. "Now here I am calling you about two years late I guess."



I was stunned. I remember Adam. He was a cute Alpha who was in Medical school at Howard. I didnt even have a clue he was even interested in me. He was really nice but he was hella quite and he didnt get out too much. JT on the other hand was a nut. I partied like a rockstar with JT. It was a miracle that I didnt flunk out of law school. My DC crew was nuts.



"Hi Adam. Its been a long time. So you're in Atlanta. How is JT?" I asked. Maybe I should have said more but it was a weird conversation.



"He is good. Just being JT. He is doing some party promoting in New York now. You know how he does it." Adam laughed. "So what are you doing today? I actually have a day off from the hospital. I would like to catch up with you."



"I don't have too much going on. I am just leaving church with my mom headed home. I was actually entertaining the thought of brunch."



"Lets meet for brunch then. Where do you recommend? I mean unless you have other plans with someone else.."



"Lets go to West Egg."





When I walked into West Egg it wasn't as packed as I expected. Typically its full of young urbanites enjoying brunch and chatting about their upcoming week. I wanted to go home a change from my church pale pink sun dress but Adam said he was pretty close to the area so I figured I didn't want him to go someplace else and then get lost trying to get to me. The waitress sat me by the window in the backroom and I ordered a cup of my usual ginger tea. Adam strolled in about five minutes later. He was dressed in jeans and a thermal tee. He flashed me a smile as I waved at him.


He was about six feet tall, medium brown guy with dimples and a great smile. He had a nice frame, good build and was wearing a pair of wire frame glasses. Adam was one of those super nice guys that went to your church that your mother wanted you to marry. I rose up from my seat and gave him a hug as he approached the table.


"Wow, your still beautiful," he said as he sat down. "Its so great seeing you Elle. I was so nervous calling you. Didn't know if you would even have a clue who I was."



I flashed him a warm smile and pushed my bone straight hair back behind my ears. I was flattered. I had no idea this guy had a crush on me. He barely talked to me in DC. I just remember a few conversation at a few random house parties and I remember seeing him at Howard's homecoming a year and some change ago briefly.



"I am glad you called. So I am assuming you are working on your residency here now. What part of town do you live in? How do you like your job? How do you like the ATL thus far?"



"I am living in Marietta right now with an older chapter bruh and his family until I get a place of my own but thus far its cool. I like it here. I haven't really done much. I don't really know alot of people here expect a few classmates. Thinking about joining a grad chapter to meet some people. I can't believe your actually here. I know this is going to make me sound really wack but I have always had a little crush on you. Its so good to see you."



"Its good to see you too Adam. I am glad you called."



Adam and I talked for hours and then went for a little mini tour of the area. I explained and showed him a few places and apartments to look at and we agreed to do dinner later this week. He explained that when he was in DC he didnt really date because he was focused on school and he thought women would be a distraction. He also said that when he got a job offer in Atlanta he was so excited to try to reconnect with me but he figured I had a boyfriend. I was flattered but I thought he was a little too stakerish for me. He would however be a good distraction from my screwed up love life so I thought it would be cool to hang out with him.





"ELLE!!!, Did you approve this ad?" Felicia asked as she slammed a copy of a print ad on my desk.





I looked over the ad. It was for the new Red shoe campaign. I was working on it with the advertising agency we hired.





"No, Felicia I haven't approved it yet. I was waiting on Blair to send me the other mock up. Why?" I question staring back up at Felicia.





Felicia was a tall fair women with the thickest natural lips I had ever seen on a white woman. She looked like she was probably a model back in her day. She had sharp features and the most perfect pale blonde hair I had ever seen. She looked like an elegant snow queen. She was one of the partners at the marketing consulting firm I worked at.




"Hmmp, tell Blair never to send garage like this over again. I knew we should have went with Grey," She signed. "By the way, I need you in San Francisco on Wednesday. We have a sales pitch that I need you to present at."




I immediately focused in on Felicia words when I heard San Fran. It was afterall my favorite city.




"Great, I'm there. Can you send me your intenary?" Lately I was getting quite a few opportunities to travel with Felicia and Jeff when they are out selling business. We were a small niche firm that handled buzz marketing campaigns. Its funny, I meet Felicia at a bar three days after I dropped out of law school. She was one of the most elegant women I had ever seen. We both ordered the same cocktail the same way. She was randomly talking about a project she had and I gave her a suggestion. She told me I was a genius and asked if I had ever considered a career in marketing. I shrugged and explained my whole sad law school story. She gave me her card and told me to call her on Monday.





"Will do. Get me Blair new proof asap. We need to get this to the client by eod today," Felicia said making turning away from my desk toward her office.

I nodded and began drafting an email to Blair. It was already 4 and I knew Felicia would want a few more proofs to choose from. She was very picky and I knew whatever Blair sent next would not be to Felicia's liking. As I sent the email to Felicia I caught a glimpse at Mark's card. It was under my mouse pad. I picked it up and considered calling him. I had been wanting to call him since I saw him at MJQ but I wasnt sure. It wasnt that he was a white boy. I had dated white guys before. I guess it was just the whole fact that his homeboy had seen me naked that bothered me. I wasnt sure he would take me seriously.

But my mind wondered to the possibility of going out with Mark. So I decided to email him.

Hey Mark. Its Elle. Just thinking about taking you up on you offer to shoot me. How much does the gig pay? - Elle

I think that was simple, sexy and flirtatious enough.

No comments: